“Entertainment is not a one-size-fits-all world,” reads the official announcement. “We want you to be able to choose the hardware that makes sense for you, so we are working with multiple partners to bring a variety of Steam gaming machines to market during 2014, all of them running SteamOS.”
If you have a Steam account, you can sign up for the hardware beta and may become one of the lucky 300 people to test a high-performance prototype of the Steam Box. Just follow these steps:
- Join the Steam Universe community group.
- Agree to the Steam Hardware Beta Terms and Conditions.
- Make 10 Steam friends (if you haven’t already).
- Create a public Steam Community profile (if you haven’t already).
- Play a game using a gamepad in Big Picture mode.
If you complete these step (in any order you like) before October 25, you’ll be eligible to enter the beta. All you have to do then is cross your fingers and hope.Some of our posts include links to online retail stores. We get a small cut if you buy something through one of our links. Don't worry, it doesn't cost you anything extra.